Samstag, 13. Oktober 2012

Let’s talk about New Year’s Resolutions

What?, you might be thinking. It is October. Yes, I have noticed. And besides me anxiously waiting for Christmas I am well aware that New Year is still just about two and half months to go. But here is the thing. New Year’s resolutions are barely ever, at least for me, about accomplishing great things right? Mine, for this year, were: Get rid of bad habits. Make good habits; nothing more and nothing less. And different from many people I know (even my age), I have not given up, phrasing New Year’s resolutions every year. Mine have just become, let’s say reduced. So you’re probably still wondering why I am writing about this. So I’ve been thinking. Apparently it takes 21 days to make something a habit and 3 days to break a habit. Among others, this seems to be one reason why New Year’s resolutions never make it until the end of February, or even January. No wonder we don’t even get to the part of accomplishing great things. Because in order to do great things we need discipline. And unfortunately discipline is not something many of us seem to have abundant. The bible says, that he or she who can be trusted with little things, can be trusted with great things. Why don’t we use the last 2 or 3 months of this year to give our best in preparing ourselves for the year ahead? I mean, while we’re busy making things a habit we aren’t able to fully enjoy the results. So let’s make things a habit now, and then we are able to start of the year strengthened, because we spend the last months dealing with ourselves, and our own little problems, finishing things up, making new habits. And the start into our new year will be blessed. Ok, down to the point it is nothing different than saying, why wait until January, we can change our life today. But some of us, including me, still like to think that the beginning of a new year is something special, so I like to give these kind of a events a greater meaning. Maybe we have to stop looking at the New Year as some kind of new beginning, but rather as a completion of what we started the year before. And making it a little more idealistic: Every following year will be better than the one before. I hope this is making any sense. If not, don’t tell me, I enjoy living in my own little idealistic/realistic world.  No, you can tell me, but right now, I am pretty convinced.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen